Sunday, July 05, 2009

Salute to Independence


O000h....ahhhh!



Saturday afternoon I got together with 35,000 of my closest friends for the 23rd annual "Salute to Independence" at Antietam National Battlefield.

This is one of my favorite events, and judging from the size of the very jolly crowd, many others feel that way too! The Salute, Battle Anniversary, and the Illumination are yearly milestones on the battlefield, and reminders of how happy I am to be a part of it all.


A young artilleryman of the Maryland National Guard watches the fireworks.

The Maryland Monument stood sentry over the the revelers as they made their ways home.

Hope to see you next year.

Ranger Mannie

4 comments:

Richard said...

I did not know that you had fireworks there on the 4th. Do the people stay on the battlefield?

Jeffrey said...

Mannie... I tried to email you using the addressed posted on this blog but it didn't go through. Do you have an email that I can send a note to you on?

Mannie Gentile said...

Jeffrey,

I'm perplexed that you couldn't reach me at:
museumofamerica@myactv.net

A backup address is:
manniegentile@gmail.com

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mannie

Mannie Gentile said...

King Caspian,

This was the 23rd year of fireworks. Yes, people start to show up as early as nine to set up their tarps and arrange their lawn chairs. Its a delightful day on the battlefield.

Now its not always ON the 4th, but the closest Saturday to the 4th. This year the calendar cooperated and we had the Salute to Independence on July 4.

Mannie